Know in advance that you won't be able to get to your polling place? Then an Absentee Ballot could be a way to exercise your right to vote. There are several status types of Absentee Voters:

  • Civilian Absentee - (Business/vacation travel, temporary illness, student at college, etc.)
  • Permanent Absentee - (Mobility, age, or permanent health issues prevent getting to polls)
  • Special Ballot Absentee - (Election workers, religious objection, victim/witness protection, etc.)
  • Military Absentee - (Active Service, Guard, Merchant Marine, or Spouce/Dependent)
  • Federal Absentee - (U.S. Citizen residing outside the country indefiniately)

Here's how to apply for Absentee Voting:

Determine your type of Absentee and click the associated button below:

Civilian / Permanent / Special Absentee Application
Military / Federal Absentee - Online Application Access

If you're using the Absentee Ballot Application (8-400), follow the following steps:

Step 1:

Complete Section A - Fill in the elections you're requesting, your name, birthdate, and address. If you'd like your ballot sent to an address different than where you're registered, put that address in the box to the right.

Step 2:

Complete Section B, C, or D, selecting the reason you wish to receive an Absentee Ballot.

Step 3:

Don't forget to sign and date the form!

Step 4:

All that's left is to turn it in!

Please mail your completed form to:

Broome County Board of Elections
PO Box 1766
Binghamton, NY 13902